Neale Douglas MorisonCurriculum Vitae 2016
- Contact details
- Skills and background
- Recent roles
- Academic qualifications
- Employment History
Neale Morison is a writer of words and code.
Neale Morison's recent roles have combined technical writing and development with analysis, design, project management and general management tasks. His experience includes over fifteen years in software development, IT writing, technical writing and journalism, and Internet development. Hardware experience includes electronics research and development environments and Web server, network and PC administration and support.
As a communicator, in the role of editor, journalist or web content developer, Neale is able to deliver in a large range of styles to meet the specific needs of his audience. His output includes technical books, manuals, news, features, reviews, and public relations.
In 2008 Nature Journal published two of his stories. In 2012 Neale delivered a paper at the Society for Technical Communication Summit in Chicago. Since 2010 Neale has been Documentation Manager of the ASKAP Project, a radio telescope being designed and constructed by the CSIRO. In August 2007 to June 2008 he spent a year in Cambridge, Massachusetts, writing and attending courses at MIT and Harvard.
As a developer Neale has a command of many languages and systems. His experience includes design, debugging and documentation of hardware and software. He seeks challenging roles that draw on his communication, development and management skills.
- Telephone: +61 417 661 427
- Email: email@example.com
- Web site (including latest CV in html and MS Word format) www.nealemorison.com/neale
Skills and Background
- Magazine editing – PC World, Computer Magazine Group
- Lecturer – Macquarie University, Australian Society for Technical Communication, Society for Technical Communication (US)
- Documentation Manager, CSIRO ASKAP
- Technical Writer, G2 Microsystems
- Freelance Writer, Musician, Student
- Perl Developer – Analytical Models
- Manager - VaST Systems Technology
- Technical Writer, Solutions Developer - VaST Systems Technology, Cisco WNBU Sydney, Bullant
- Technical Writer - Cisco APIDC
- Internet Developer - Techne-ventures
- Project manager, online development - Intermedia
- Online content manager - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Web producer - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Online content developer - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Online software developer - Intermedia, Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Editor - PC World, Computer Magazine Group
- Journalist - PC World
- Information technology - Cisco WNBU Sydney, Cisco APIDC, Bullant, Intermedia, Fujitsu Australia, Hard Copy, Quoin Information Services
- Electronics Research and Development – CSIRO ASKAP, G2 Microsystems, VaST Systems Technology, Fairlight, Cisco WNBU Sydney
- Internet - Intermedia, Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Publishing - IDG Communications, PC World, Computer Magazine Group, PC Week, Freelance, Columnist
G2 Microsystems, Cisco WNBU Sydney, Cisco APIDC, Bullant, Hard Copy, Quoin, Odyssey Development, Fairlight, and many others. Technical and user manuals, specifications, procedures, for programmers, users, administrators, using a variety of desktop publishing tools
Nature Journal Futures section, 2 pieces 2008, The End column for The Australian Industry Standard, May 2000 - December 2000 - Winner of Australian Business Publishers (ABP) Award for best opinion column, 2000
Discover Windows 95, Webster Publishing, 1995, ISBN: 1-86398-175-6
Marketing press releases, technical product releases, brochures. See also Technical Writing, above.
Languages and development platforms
Areas of development
Automated documentation producing PDF, HTML and other formats, Web design, Web database publishing, Web content management, Windows and SQL database design, desktop publishing
Operating Systems and Environments
Windows 2000, Windows NT, Windows, DOS, Unix (Linux, Solaris), WWW CGI and Java
Web servers and related technology
Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS), Apache, Lotus Domino, ColdFusion Enterprise Server
- Microsoft: Office, including Visual Basic and macro programming
- Graphics: Adobe Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, Adobe Illustrator, Visio, Gimp, GnuPlot
- Desktop Publishing: MS Publisher, Ventura, QuarkXPress, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe FrameMaker, InDesign, LaTeX
- Documentation: Robohelp, Doxygen, Javadoc
- Version Control: CVS, Subversion and others
- Development Environments: Eclipse IDE, other IDEs, Xilinx ISE
- Bachelor of Science (Applied Mathematics): University of New South Wales
- Associate Diploma of Jazz Studies: NSW Conservatorium of Music
- 1985: Scriptwriting Certificate, Australian Film and Television School
- 1986: C and Pascal, University of NSW
- 1993: C++, Microsoft Institute
- 1997: Java, Sydney University Continuing Education
- Numerous courses in proprietary systems, e.g. Lotus Notes, TeamCenter
Online computer science courses:
- Stanford: AI;
Online Computer Science courses:
- Udacity: CS101 - Introduction to Computer Science,
- Udacity: CS373 - Programming a Robotic Car (Artificial Intelligence),
Online Computer Science courses:
- Udacity: CS344 - Parallel Programming
- Udacity: CS212 - Design of Computer Programs
Documentation and Applications Expert, Zentri
Since August 2014
Documentation Manager, CSIRO ASKAP Project
Technical Writer, G2 MicrosystemsAugust 2008 to September 2009
G2 developed low power Wi-Fi chips. Responsible for user documentation and some internal documentation. Produced datasheets, user guides, example applications. Since aquired by Broadcom.
Freelance Writer, Musician, Student
August 2007 to June 2008
MIT and Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Senior Programmer, Analytical Models
March 2007 to August 2007
Developed optimisation engine for cellular phone provider CRM system in Perl.
Manager, Testing and Release Group, VaST Systems Technology
August 2005 to March 2007
testing and release group. 3-4 reports. Handled management, procedure
documentation and automation of testing and release systems, some
responsibility for IT.
Developed intranet, testing and utility applications in PHP, Perl, Python and MySQL.
Technical Writer, Solutions Developer, VaST Systems Technology
June 2004 to July 2005
VaST Systems Technology creates solutions for modeling and simulation in embedded systems design. Responsibilities included managing technical documentation, writing and editing of hundreds of documents including tutorials, user guides, technical references, application notes and design specifications, and providing documentation automation.
- Processing, graphical and tabular presentation of software simulation results
- XSL Transformation to produce reports on simulation structures and models
- XML/XSLT Document Management System
- SQL reports
- Producing CHM Html Help files from Word documents Visual Basic, Perl
- Automated source documentation with Doxygen, with XSLT and Perl processing.
Technical Writer, Applications Developer, Cisco WNBU Sydney
June 2002 to February 2004
Cisco WNBU (Wireless Networking Business Unit) developed ICs and apps. I worked with hardware and software engineers, writing and automating documentation. Projects included processing and presentation of software simulation results - graphs and tables, automatic PDF and HTML documentation, redesign of the intranet to prepare for ISO auditing, test boards database - A Perl/CGI intranet application, Python unit testing a testboard GUI.
Senior Technical Writer, BullantMay 2001 to November 2001
IT Manager, Project Manager, Intermedia.com Pty Ltd
April 2000 to February 2001
Web development, project management, IT management. Planning strategy, managing development and building hundreds of supplier websites. Six direct reports.
Web Communications Manager, Fujitsu Australia Limited
March 1999 to April
Development, production and management role in the marketing department, involving management of Fujitsu Australia Web site at www.fujitsu.com.au and intranet.
Editor in Chief, Electronic Publishing, IDG Communications
November 1996 to December
Build and manage IDG Communications' award winning (APB 1998) web presence providing online services for magazines including ComputerWorld, PC World, ARN, PC Buyer, IT Marketer, CIO and online services such as IT directory, email newsletters, PR publishing.
Editor, PC World, IDG Communications
May 1996 to November 1996
Manage editorial budget, hire staff, oversee content, design covers with graphic artists, liaise with display advertising sales staff, report to publisher. Two direct reports plus contributors.
Technical writing, journalism and editing roles, freelance, contract and permanentQuoin, Hard Copy, PC Week, APC, PC World, Sydney Morning Herald, Age, Computer Magazine Group, IDG Communications, Cisco and others: 1987 – 2004
Fairlight Instruments1982 to 1986
Fairlight was an electronics research and development company. Products included the CMI digital synthesiser and CVI video effects unit. Debugging of PCBs, lab work, technical writing. Worked in testing and development labs, documentation manager, one report.
Neale Morison CVneale@nealemorison.com