Neale Douglas Morison
Curriculum Vitae 2016
Neale Morison is a writer of words and code.
Neale Morison's recent roles have combined technical writing and development with analysis, design, project management and general management tasks. His experience includes twenty years in software development, IT writing, technical writing and journalism, and Internet development. Hardware experience includes electronics research and development environments and Web server, network and PC administration and support.
As a communicator, in the role of editor, journalist or web content developer, Neale is able to deliver in a large range of styles to meet the specific needs of his audience. His output includes technical books, manuals, news, features, reviews, and public relations. In 2000 he won an industry writing award for his The End humour column in the Australian Industry Standard. His Web sites have also won awards. In 2008 Nature Journal published two of his stories. In May 2012 Neale delivered a paper at the Society for Technical Communication Summit in Chicago.
As a developer Neale has a command of many languages and systems. His experience includes design, debugging and documentation of hardware and software. He seeks challenging roles that draw on his communication, development and management skills.
- Telephone: +61 417 661 427
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web site (including latest CV in html and MS Word format) www.nealemorison.com/neale
- ABN: 39 656 845 049
- Documentation and Applications Expert, Zentri
- Documentation Manager, ASKAP Project, CSIRO
- Technical Writer - G2 Microsystems
- Freelance Writer, Musician, Student
- Senior Programmer - Analytical Models
- Manager - VaST Systems Technology
- Technical Writer, Solutions Developer - VaST Systems Technology, Cisco WNBU, Sydney, Bullant
- Technical Writer - Cisco APIDC
- Internet Developer - Techne-ventures
- Project manager, online development- Intermedia
- Online content manager - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Web producer - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Online content developer - Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Online software developer - Intermedia, Fujitsu Australia, IDG Communications
- Editor - PC World, Computer Magazine Group
- Journalist - PC World
Academic Qualifications and Training
- Bachelor of Science (Applied Mathematics): University of New South Wales
- Associate Diploma of Jazz Studies: NSW Conservatorium of Music
- Java, Sydney University Continuing Education, 1997
- C++, Microsoft Institute, 1993, C and Pascal, University of NSW 1986
- Scriptwriting Certificate, Australian Film and Television School
- Stanford MOOCs: AI; Udacity: CS101 - Search Engine, CS373 - Robotic Car
Documentation and Applications Expert, Zentri
Since August 2014
Documentation Manager, CSIRO ASKAP Project
March 2010 to June 2014
ASKAP (the Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder), is a radio telescope under construction by CSIRO at the MRO (Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory) in Western Australia. As well as writing and editing project documentation, the role includes supervising all aspects of documentation, providing procedures and systems for managing documentation aspects such as version control, style, review and approval, and building systems to provide access to documents, including intranet web pages and databases.
Technical Writer, G2 Microsystems
August 2008 to September 2009
G2 develops low power Wi-Fi chips. Responsible for user documentation and some internal documentation. Produced datasheets, user guides, example applications. G2 has subsequently been bought by BroadCom.
Freelance Writer, Musician, Student
August 2007 to June 2008
Auditing courses at MIT and Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Senior Programmer, Analytical Models
March 2007 to August 2007
Developed optimisation engine for cellular phone provider CRM system in Perl.
Manager, Testing and Release Group, VaST Systems Technology
August 2005 to March 2007
Managed software testing and release group. 3-4 reports. Developed intranet, testing and utility applications in PHP, Perl, Python and MySQL.
Technical Writer, Solutions Developer, VaST Systems Technology
June 2004 to July 2005
VaST Systems Technology creates solutions for modeling and simulation in embedded systems design. Responsibilities included managing technical documentation, writing and editing of user guides and other documents, and documentation automation solutions.
Projects included processing, graphical and tabular presentation of software simulation results, document management and transformation using XML/XSLT, Visual Basic, Perl, reports and help files using SQL in CHM, Doxygen and other formats.